Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Day 2 – July 17, 2012 – 4.5 miles

The concept of running in the morning is great.  Early bird gets the worm and all that crap. The truth, or at least my truth, is I don’t want the metaphorical worm.  I want to sleep.  I want to stay in my comfy bed and ponder, "what is the latest I can possibly sleep without being late for work?"
What I don’t want to do is run before the sun goes up.  But that’s what I did because today is going to be HAAB (family slang – Hot As All Balls)!  It was already almost 75 degrees at 5:30am and by the end of my run it was touching 80.  The only thing worse than running at the crack-o-dawn would have been tempting death in a 90 degree late afternoon trying to get my miles in.
I think I realized around mile 2 that starting training with two 4.5 mile runs within 11 hours of each other isn’t the best idea, but I did it.  Sure there was some walking at mile 3…and mile 3.5… and some more at mile 4.  Then I may have cut the run off a few blocks early to get some extra walking in.  Who cares!  I ran.  I did it.  Don’t judge me!
I was somewhat amazed at just how many people were running at 5:30 in the morning.  On one hand it was motivating.  Other runners giving a wave at me as we crossed paths.  Getting a friendly head nod from runners which silently says “you’re one of us. Good work”.  But on the other hand it was a little depressing.  You see, I like to maintain the disillusioned notion that I am special. 
I wake up at 5am to run.  Crazy right?!  Nope, so did a ton of other people.  And look they are running faster than you and walking a whole lot less.  It’s a subtle yet harsh reminder that I am not just one of the many.   Ugh.
…At least running before the sun comes up means I don’t need sunblock though.  Ta-da! Silver lining!
Tomorrow:  Late afternoon 3 mile jog. Let the legs recover a little.
Running Song of The Day: Barenaked Ladies – “Easy”  A mellow song that’s good for the mornings.  I also enjoy the irony of running to a song called “Easy” when clearly what you are doing is anything but.

No comments:

Post a Comment