Thursday, July 19, 2012

Day 4 - Good Smokers vs Bad Smokers

There was a point in the day when I thought I’d be pulling back to back days off only 4 days in. I woke up at 5:30am, but today wasn’t an early alarm for running.  Oh no! It was Tiger Time! 4:43am tee time at The Open.  So “not enough sleep” was one excuse.  The second was I spent 3 hours in the car stuck in traffic this afternoon coming back from a client visit. Finally, I still was really struggling with leg soreness.
If you’ve ever run any distance you know the feeling.  It is the kind of leg soreness that verges on leg weakness.  You step even slightly wrong and it feels like your leg gives out.  Not overly fun, but occasionally amusing if I’m being honest.
But alas, I forced myself to get out and run a quick three miles.  I will say that after the first half mile my legs felt far more normal and I am much more encouraged about a longer run tomorrow or Saturday.
That being said, I can’t figure out if I’m encouraged or discouraged by other people on this planet. In particular those people who smoke.  Smoke if you want.  I don’t care.  You are killing yourself, but hey, I drink too much so we’re all just competing to see if your lungs die before my liver does.  
But I will point out that I don’t follow you around spiking your water with booze that you don’t want to drink. SO I beg you to please stop blowing your nasty ass smoke in my face.  I must have run by no less than 10 people smoking in the doorway of a house or restaurant today.
Half of those smokers would politely lower the cigarette or even move it behind them so the smoke would not waft into my face or any other passerby.  In the words of Daniel Tosh, “For that I thank you.”
The other meatheads do everything short of running beside me blowing smoke directly into my face.  Move out of the middle of the sidewalk to let me pass?  No.  Avoid blowing smoke in my path? Oh hell no!  It just seemed really REALLY rude.  It would be like a dude with the flu sitting on his porch sneezing on people as they walked by.
It makes me look forward to moving to the suburbs where I can find a running trail off the main road and breath fresh air. Then again, I wouldn’t get to walk up the street for a couple post-run celebratory margaritas!
Tomorrow:  One of two things will happen.  Either I’ll get another 3 or 4 miles in after work, or I’ll find myself at a Pub and I’ll declare a day off leading up to 2 strong days this weekend. We will see…
Running Song of the Day: Eric Church – “Drink In My Hand”  Great song when you rather be at a bar than running.

No comments:

Post a Comment