Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Day 3 – Storms, DOMS and Bad Decision Making

I’ve made the executive decision that today will be an off-day.  Not that I had much choice in the matter.
1.       It’s like Armageddon outside.  It’s been on an off thunder and lightning as the heat breaks.  I don’t feel like doing a Ben Franklin impression and tempt fate in a lightning storm. Running in the rain is fun.  Running in a lightning storm is dangerous and stupid.

2.       DOMS – Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.  When I went to bed last night I could walk.  When I woke up…not so much.  What happens is you finish a long or overly-strenuous run and feel fine.  Then after a night of sleep the lactic acid spends hours and hours seeping into your muscles (or something like that) and instead of waking up refreshed and ready you wake up half crippled. Feel free to go to the 100% relyable Wikipedia to prove I didn’t make this up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

3.       I’m an idiot.  My brain does not always work properly.  Every training guide in the world says to start slow and build up miles.  I say 4 ½ miles isn’t much even though I last ran 6 weeks ago and spent one of those 6 weeks on a tropical beach drinking my weight in frozen mudslides.  Then my brain says back to back 4 ½ mile runs isn’t bad in the first week of training.  Well it is.  BUT then my brain dropped a total turd.
Day 1 I avoided the heat by running around 7pm.  Then I “logically” avoided the heat on day 2 by running at 5am.  For those of you keeping track at home that would be 9 miles within a 10 hour timespan.  Not enough rest and too many miles.  Sounds about right for the first week of training!
Thank goodness for the weather otherwise I’d have no excuse other than my stupidity for a day off.
Tomorrow:  I’ll try again for a 3 mile run.
Running Song of The Day: AC/DC – “Thunderstruck”  Great song to kick a run off to, but an even better song to blast on an off day when a thunderstorm is rolling in.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment