Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Day 9 - Being a Bad-Ass

Today I felt awesome walking out of the house for my run.  I had my all grey shorts and shirt with a black hat on.  I felt like the Darth Vader of out-of-shape runners.  I had new headphones which made bumping Eminem even more motivating.  And I was upping my mileage to 6.5 miles (which I did!)  I felt downright dangerous leaving the house.
As Eminem gave way to some Jay-Z I hauled past my first slow-poke victim.  Sure it was an old lady picking through trash, but I don’t choose my opponents! I’m BAD!
But then, not more than a quarter mile into my run, I saw something that made me turn my music off and stop in my tracks.
Was it a hot girl checking me out? No.  Maybe it was a sweet car that would make any guy stop for a moment of admiration. But it wasn’t.  It was a 9 week old Puggle dancing in the grass with his new owner.
As this little bouncing pup ran at me I just lost it. I start rubbing his belly and his owner is telling me all about how he’ll eventually be 20 lbs and all that good stuff.  His name was Waffles or something like that…The dog, not the owner.
But then it was back to the road, and as if my IPod knew exactly what I was thinking, JayZ ended and Sarah Bareilles came on.  Not badass. It was followed right away by Call Me Maybe. Even less badass.
Fine!  I’m not cool, dangerous, or mysterious. I’m a total sap, dork, nerd.  I probably could have figured this out way earlier though.   Take for example my conversation with a good friend of mine yesterday.
“Hey dude…Not much, you?...Sure.  Ask anything…uh huh…They are called Horcruxes…Seven of them…Well, he didn’t know Harry Potter was a Horcrux.  It’s complicated, you’d sorta have to go back to book 5 to know all the details…  You didn’t read book 5?!... Wait, you only saw the last half of the 7th movie! Dude, I can’t really explain 5000 pages of awesome in 5 minutes…”
That is a conversation that anyone who even strives to be badass NEVER even thinks to have and would never admit to.
Anyway, this raging dork finish 6 ½ miles barely dodging a thunder storm.  I did the extra miles because I’ll take a day off tomorrow to go to the soccer match at Fenway Park with my wife. Fortza Roma!
Running Song of the Day:  War – “Why Can’t We Be Friends”   The harmless anthem for the harmless runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment