Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Dreams...and PBR

Today I got to thinking what my training life would be like if I won a gagillion dollars in the lottery. 
Disregard the pitfalls of the money, or the trouble, or the legal stuff.  I'm not interested in having my dream torn apart by all the haters who say "it'll ruin your life" or "you'd end up homeless and alone". It's called a dream.  Dreams are, by definition, not based in reality.  Therefore leave me alone.

So I win the lottery and I don't have to work anymore. Sweet!  Lets say I could then take that time and really train for a race.  Not working until 6pm, rushing home, trying to get a quick run in despite being exhausted.

I could get a full good night sleep.  I could eat a healthy breakfast.  I could spend extra time stretching before a run.  Then I could run as long as I'd like without a care in the world.  I'd have the newest shoes which I'd throw away every 100 miles or so. (Scratch that...I'd donate them to Soles for Souls...great charity.  Look them up).   I'd wear a new pair of socks every day just like Tom Brady dreamed of doing when he got all rich and famous. 

I would get home from my run and dip into my hot-tub, whirlpool to cool down and stretch.  My butler would bring me my favorite post run drink (V8), and I'd stretch again to ward off all injuries.

After a nice lunch I'd make my way to my world class gym I had built in my mansion and I would workout with my personal trainer developing such a fine tuned athletic body that I'd be considering breaking 3 hours in a marathon instead of struggling to break 4 hours.

Oh if only I could win the lottery without any of the headaches that go with it.

...Instead, I sell chairs.  I don't have a mansion, whirlpool, indoor gym, or personal trainer.  I do have a truckload of shoes, but they all have at least 300-400 miles on them and need to be rotated out of use. I'm actually wondering if I have clean socks for my run tonight and I have no idea what I'll eat after.

But truthfully, I love my style.  I am to running what PBR is to beer.  Not the best.  Maybe not even good.  Certainly not refined with painstaking hours of effort... but for $5 a pitcher at your local pub it beats the hell out of most options.

I could be a crazed runner who goes vegan, eats GU like it's the 6th food group, and tries way to damn hard.  But why?  I rather be PBR.

No comments:

Post a Comment